Friday, March 28, 2008

Shedding the Old Season


This morning I learned I have not yet fully thrown off the trappings of winter. Oh, my heaviest jackets are back in the closet, and I no longer feel the winter’s deep chill. But mentally, I still haven’t shed the thought processes of winter—my instinctive winterthink, which I didn’t even realize I had.

Before dawn today, Dog and I were walking, as we usually do, and we came to a spot we always have to cross. It’s a small area where water runs off from the ski slopes. This morning, I reached the edge of this wet area and automatically tested it with my toe before stepping on it, checking the slipperiness of the ice, before crossing. And that’s when I realized that I don’t need to do that anymore. There isn’t any ice. Perhaps now I’ll finally be able to put winter behind me for another year, back into my mental closet, somewhere near my winter jacket.

Today’s photo was actually taken yesterday morning. Today’s morning is a grey and rainy one, as predicted by the forecasters as well as by the thickening clouds you can already see appearing in the photo. You can see a bit of the evershrinking snowpack on the mountain from the vantage point of one of the old snowmaking ponds. Happy spring!


Update: Have you heard about Jonathan Rosen's new book The Life of the Skies? It's gotten great reviews, and it's on my "to read" list. The blog 10,000 Birds is giving away five copies of the book over the next few weeks. Check out 10,000 Birds for the rules. Maybe we could start a book club and all read it together.

3 comments:

Stacey Olson said...

looks like spring is on the way, but taking it's sweet time this year. this is the second book giveaway I have seen this week,is it something new to promote the books or have they been doing it a while? Thanks for your stories I will be back

Dana and Daisy said...

the photo reads "crisp" immediately.
love it.

Carolyn H said...

Stacey: Not sure how new the book giveaway thing is. I do know publishers are hurting and so try new things to promote their books.

Dana: Thanks! It was a pretty morning.

Carolyn H.