Thursday, March 15, 2012

When March is like May...

Snowmaking pond on Roundtop Mountain, sunrise, March 15, 2012
I apologize if readers are tiring of sunrise photos. With last weekend’s time change, the mornings are again no longer bright enough for photos of much else. My blog has always focused on my sightings in the forest and the changing seasons on Roundtop Mountain, so what photos you see here are what I am seeing every morning, too. And I’ve always liked sunrises, so I don’t get tired of them.

One thing about the circling of the years is that nothing ever stays the same for long, so brighter mornings aren’t far off. Last evening I saw that the dog-toothed violet leaves are now above ground, their waxy brown and green leaves barely noticeable amidst last fall’s oak leaves. The yellow violets themselves won’t be too far away, then, and I will keep looking for the first of those. This 3x4 patch of violets is right outside my cabin door, so I examine the site at least once a day.

With the temperature some 20 degrees above normal for this time of year, the evenings feel a lot more like May than March. I worry that such abnormal temperatures spell the start of even worse climate changes in the not very distant future. I dislike that this was a year with no winter, and yet I am taking advantage of the warm weather for however long it lasts. My doors were open last evening to let the warm temperatures and lovely air inside, and this morning I am wearing sandals. I’ve never worn my summer sandals in March before, and this year may well be my only opportunity for it. Make hay while the sun shines, the old adage says. Or perhaps if life gives you lemons, make lemonade is more appropriate.  If March brings May weather, dress like it's May. So I am.

3 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Strange goings on over here too. This March it's easier to find a patch of flowers than a patch of mud.

cathy said...

maybe April will have March's weather. Then May could have February missing weather ;)

Scott said...

Bloodroots BURST into bloom here today in a warm, south-facing locating, though not in the woods in general.