Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Icy morning

Yellow Breeches Creek, off Gilbert Rd., Monaghan Twp., York County, Pennsylvania

I had ice in the chicken water this morning, the first time the temperature has dropped below freezing for several weeks. With the weather the way it’s been, it wouldn’t surprise me if this turns out to be the last time that happens until fall. The chickens didn’t seem to notice or mind, likely secure in the knowledge that I would fix that ice problem before the important business of their breakfast.

With the chill came a strong breeze, finally knocking down the last of the broken and teetering treetops from Snowtober. It is not a day for sitting outside and enjoying the last few days of March, even if it is sunny. Perhaps tomorrow.

Roundtop Mtn. and its neighbor, Nell’s Hill, have turned fuzzy, as new leaves are starting to bud and burst. Normally, this happens in early May. My experience thus far is that once the leaves begin to appear, even a prolonged cold spell won’t slow them down or stop them. Of course, leaves have never appeared in March before, so I’ll have to see if that holds true this year as well.

I’m pretty much astounded that spring is arriving so early, and I can’t say I like it very much. Still, this early arrival is certain to account for an interesting season, and while it’s likely not to be interesting in a good way, I am glad to document whatever is going to happen. I’m also glad that after years of living on the mountain, I have a pretty good grasp of what a normal spring should be, so that this year I’ll be able to tell the difference.

No comments: