Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Still quiet. Well, sort of

Roundtop is quiet for the moment. The only excitement was the appearance of the raccoon I have nicknamed Pig. Pig is a pig when it comes to finding bird seed and leftover cat food. But the real reason for the nickname is his enormous size. If this isn’t a 30 lb. raccoon, I’ve never seen one.

Last evening I was talking on the phone when a tiger-sized roar erupted from Baby Dog. That’s her raccoon voice. The sound of outrage is unmistakable. I don’t even have to go look. I know Pig is out there when I hear that sound. Baby Dog will keep up her outrage unless and until I go to the door and watch Pig scurry away. If I don’t go to the door, she will bark for hours.

As excitement goes, Pig is a pretty poor excuse, but as I said, it’s kind of quiet. The sky remains overcast and the clouds so low that it’s hard to tell when daylight actually does arrive. At least I haven’t had much from that big storm that’s swept across the country. A bit of rain, but no lightning or tornadoes and so far no wind either, though apparently I might still get some of that. In any event, the fall leaves survived for another morning, even if it’s still too gloomy to see them in their full glory. Sometimes I can see a hint of the glory, and that will have to do.

4 comments:

Jeannette StG said...

Gorgeous - hope you can keep the bright fall leaves for a while!

Cathy said...

Beautiful pictures! Like the name of the raccoon too.

Had a bit of rain last night and cloudy day for today. Naturally the sun came out when the sun was settling.

And 80% of my leaves are now down. So the snowflakes are now coming, have a slight chance on Fri morning of a snow shower.

So enjoy your quiet time.

Carolyn H said...

Jeannette, So far so good with the leaves, though the color is fading a bit.

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: pig was back last night. It' like clockwork at 8:05 p.m. No snowflakes here yet!

Carolyn H.