Friday, October 01, 2010

After the storm comes chores

The remnants of tropical storm Nicole pounded Roundtop Mtn. with several inches of rain yesterday. Fortunately, much of the worst of the storm missed the mountain. I did lose power for a while, but I lose power all the time here, so that’s not very unusual.

The rain fell so fast and hard for a while that it literally hurt to be outside in that downpour. The worst of the storm was over by late yesterday afternoon, though rain showers still fell on and off through the night. Pretty much all the rain I should have gotten throughout the summer fell yesterday.

This morning the sky was already beginning to clear, as you can see from today’s photo. The sky suddenly has that October look to it. At the cabin this morning, Dog surprised a small family of wandering raccoons, no doubt making their first appearance after holing up during the storm. We weren’t very close to them, but we were close enough for him to see them, which was more excitement than I needed at 5:45 in the morning.

With the clearing weather comes some very fall-like temperatures, which means one of my chores for this weekend will entail bringing in most of the houseplants that spent the summer outside. Another chore will be at least a start to clearing off the front and back decks, now littered with twigs and clumps of downed leaves that fell during the storm.

It’s not just birds and plants that are different during the seasons. My chores vary with the seasons, as well. And it’s time to get to work on at least some of my fall chores.


Cathy said...

Ugh! that rain did fall hard except for me, the worse of it fell during the night. Between 12am-2pm it was just plain awful to listen too.

During the day it was on & downpours with me wishing the power would go off at work. It didn't until I got home. Now the sun is totally out

Beautiful shot too,it was still raining when I woke up.

Scott said...

We got about 5 inches in 24 hours here in the Piedmont part of Pennsylvania. The streams had all returned to "normal" when I went for a walk on Sunday, which means there was hardly any water in them because of the ongoing drought, despite the deluge last week.

Carolyn H said...

Scott: I haven't been down to Beaver Creek since the heavy rainm so I don't know how that one is running or not. I hope to get down sometime this week, so I can see for myself. I'm just glad we had that little bit of rain two days before this big storm. That kind of prepared the ground to accept all that rain.

Carolyn H.