Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Quiet Evening


Fall is lost this week. Maybe it took a wrong turn around the Great Lakes. The weather through the weekend will be positively summer-like, though fortunately not the weather of summer’s dog days. I’m annoyed when TV stations talk about how "wonderful" the weather is. In the first place, it’s dry and we’re under a drought watch. How is that "wonderful"? In the second place, the temperature is flirting with being 20 degrees above normal. How is that "wonderful"?

I’ve actually heard people argue that global warming is "good" for the world because it means lower heating bills and the opening of the Northwest Passage. I should be wearing a lightweight jacket by now, not still wearing my summer clothing. I should be seeing flocks of migrating geese honking across the sky, not this seemingly endless blue sky. Ah, but I rant…

So last evening I went out to the abandoned ski slope behind the cabin and took this photo of a bit of the now-stalled autumn color change. Dog was with me. The sky was empty—no birds were to be seen for some reason. It was perfectly quiet. Dog couldn’t even find a rabbit to scare up, much to his great disappointment. Nothing happened.

2 comments:

ChicagoLady said...

Nope, Fall hasn't really made an appearance in the lower Great Lakes region yet. And with it being unseasonable warm this week, it won't be here till at least next week. I am enjoying the comfortable weather, not too cold, not too hot, but it would be nice to see more of the fall color change start.

Carolyn H said...

chicagolady:

I think everywhere in the US is warmer this year (so far). I would have thought you might be seeing something more fallish than I am, though. Chicago is a lot farther north than I am!

Carolyn H.