Monday, October 22, 2007

Day in the Forest Part 1

Today was just a tad shy of the peak color in my woods, but by the weekend the peak will be past. Today was the day I had to spend in the woods and so I did. I took so many photos that I likely have enough to last until January. But even if these global warming times, you folks would likely get a bit suspicious if I was still posting fall color photos in January. So I will have to be selective.

I headed down off the mountain and into the valley early this morning, and had no sooner taken my first steps on the trail I was planning to walk when a pileated woodpecker saw me and swooped off through the woods, screaming in outrage. I was busted! The woodpecker woke up a blue jay, who was equally outraged. In turn, the blue jay alerted a squirrel, and before you know it, I am being followed by several blue jays and assorted other creatures. All I did was take two steps down the mountain.

My plan for today's walk wasn't really a plan. I wanted to photograph the pond in today's photo, as I didn't have many photos of it in fall. I have summer and winter photos, but if I have any fall photos I can no longer locate them. I also wanted to wander a few of the old woods trails I don't regularly walk. Much of this area is wet even in a dry season, and springs keep the footing mushy. So I tend not to come down here unless it's been dry, as coming down here in years with normal rain is a good way to ruin a pair of shoes. So that was the extent of my plan for the day. I ended up walking all over the valley on a beautiful day and will post more of my photos in my next post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you trip in the woods went well. Color up here is at peak and it's just wonmderful to soak it all in.

When you have a chance, look at this blog. Sherry has posted some great hawk pictures

http://q-corner.blogspot.com/

Chris said...

Beautiful picture, the water looks so calm, too bad the birds weren't though!Run for cover!

RuthieJ said...

What a nice, calm day you must have had, Carolyn. The water looks like a mirror.

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: I will check out Sherry's blog ASAP. Thanks for the tip!

Chris and ruthiej: it was a beautiful, still day. I was lucky to have such a nice day.

Carolyn H.