Thursday, August 09, 2007

Morning Mullein Bloom (and Happy Anniversary!)



When I wrote the following pages, or rather the bulk of them, I lived alone, in the woods, a mile from any neighbor, in a house which I had built myself, on the shore of Walden Pond, in Concord, Massachusetts, and earned my living by the labor of my hands only. I lived there two years and two months. At present I am a sojourner in civilized life again.

So opens Henry David Thoreau's Walden. Just in case you've been too busy to remember (and who hasn't been?), today is the 153rd anniversary of the publishing of Walden. In honor of that event, I would like to recommend two Web sites. The first is a Thoreau site with an online annotated version of Walden so you can also read all sorts of interesting commentary and information to go with the book.

At the main page of that site is a lot more Thoreau information, including pictures of the pond and area where Thoreau lived and wrote. The last site is Henry's blog. I'll bet you didn't know he had one, did you? Although you won't get "new" reports from Henry, the site has published his diaries, day by day, so that it looks like a blog.

My photo this morning is of a blooming mullein plant with the sun on the blooms. Today the weather is improving, if not yet fuly improved. The dew point is a bit lower, as is the temperature. I already feel like walking again.

3 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Thanks for the interesting links.

I posted Mullein on my blog just today ... only yesterday I went to get the "flower" picture as I had taken pictures of this plant earlier in the year ... I was almost too late. You snooze you lose it seems ... these plants don't waste any time.

Carolyn H said...

Cicero,

Do you ever get red mullein up there?

Carolyn H.

Cicero Sings said...

Red mullein? I'm not sure I know what this looks like ... tried to find a picture on the internet. Do you have a picture? or a scientific name?

We are a zone 3 bordering on a zone 4 where we live.

Eileen