Friday, August 10, 2007

A Friday in Fog


Fog was so dense up on the mountain this morning that I couldn't get a good photo. Sometimes fog can make a photo interesting, but this morning I didn't feel that that was the case. So I took this photo of the Yellow Breeches Creek down off the mountain where the fog wasn't so thick.
The extreme heat of earlier in the week was herded out by several thunderstorms that came through yesterday and last evening. The temperatures are blessedly lower, but the storms didn't clear out the humidity. I guess I can't ask for everything! Still, the lower temperatures alone make me feel more human again.
This morning as I stepped off the deck, I heard two great horned owls calling back and forth to each other. It's been a few months since I've heard them this close to the cabin. I half-hoped to see one or the other in the morning gloom, as the calls were that close, but not this time.
A full 9 days after she saw a fox for about 2 seconds, Baby Dog is still hopefully returning to that wonderful spot in anticipation of a repeat performance. I haven't heard the foxes barking this week at all, so I think her hopes of seeing them again so close to the cabin will not soon be fulfilled. I keep wondering how long she will continue to stare up at that spot in hope. Baby Dog has a long memory.
And don't forget: this weekend is the Perseid meteor shower, one of the best free shows on the planet. Sunday night into Monday morning before dawn is supposed to be the best time, but yesterday www.spaceweather.com was already reporting a few meteors were spotted on Wednesday night. I expect late Saturday night to hold decent viewing (and that's likely the easier night for most people to do much viewing). This year has the added bonus of a nearly new moon, so nothing in the night sky will be competing with the shower for attention.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost forgot the Perseid! Thanks for the reminder.

Carolyn H said...

I'm hoping for good comet viewing on Saturday night, though I've been disappointed so often, I almost am afraid to hope.

Carolyn H.

Anonymous said...

Ah I was wondering about the meteor shower. Thank You Thought it was later in Aug.