Monday, April 02, 2007

The Warm Light of April


April, if not the “cruelest” month, is certainly the most fickle. Some days, like today, are warm and inviting. But by the end of the week, the nights will again be below freezing and the days cold and windy. That’s just April. For now I will enjoy the warm morning glow against the still slumbering trees, but I’ll keep a sweater handy for later.

Perhaps because it was chilly, overcast and damp this weekend, signs of spring’s progress are a bit hard to come by. So far, I have seen no new growth on the forest floor, not even skunk cabbage, which is usually the first new growth I find. And I usually have seen the first butterflies by now and I haven’t found a one. Saturday was Pennsylvania’s opening day of trout season, a day when I usually see the first Eastern Blue butterflies—not this year.
The thistly raspberry bushes have tiny buds, but that’s the closest thing to spring greenery I’ve found so far. The longer it goes without many signs of spring, the more likely it is that one warm day will suddenly bring an explosion of new growth. I just don’t know when that day will be.

No comments: