Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Still leaves


Many leaves have fallen already. Many fell before I could enjoy their beauty on the trees for a while. So today, I decided to look at some (mostly) fallen leaves and enjoy the color they are bringing to the ground and paths around the cabin.


For a while I thought this fall would be all yellows, but suddenly, oranges and a few reds dominate. The red on this tree is, just so you know, unenhanced after the photograph was taken. That’s really how red the tree is. I think the color might be slightly intensified by the rain on the leaves, but this is without a doubt the brightest tree I have seen all year. I could see it a mile away, standing there all bright and so intense it almost hurts your eyes to look at it.


Even on the ground, the leaves of fall give off their riot of color, showing many shades and colors in a single one. Each is beautiful and deserves its own photo to try and capture the colors, their variety and subtler hues. Their colors are as variable as snowflakes. None is the same as its sister, even if they come from the same mother tree. Each deserves to be remembered for its own sake, but will not be, of course. The best I can do is photograph a few and remember how beautiful they all look, each on its own.

5 comments:

Grizz………… said...

I've been shooting leaf shots galore, too. I guess there's a bit more red here than on Roundtop…but it certainly isn't one of those years when the reds are overall brilliant. The Virginia creeper, for example, just went from green to a winey burgundy, and is now mostly gone. Sumac was more crimson than scarlet—red, but not the bright red.

But the golds and oranges have been loud! So I'm not complaining. (Okay, maybe I'm complaining a little bit.)

The seasons have a mind of their own. Always.

Carolyn H said...

Griz: Did the rain affect your leaf coverage? I can almost see the mountain to my west again, so that's one postive effect of losing some leaves!

Carolyn H.

Grizz………… said...

Not that I noticed…though perhaps everything dulled down a notch. The wind did strip a lot of the trees bare, so things are starting to look ragged and more open now. Today, the view up and down the river from the cottage (under a blue sky and bright sun) is more rusty-brown than yellow—different from even two days ago.

squirrel said...

You leaf photos are really good. You should share more of your photos. So far I have loved each one you have posted. I think the leaves in my area are eaten up more that what you showed. It is hard a really nice perfect or semi-perfect leaf this year. Most have big bites out of the sides.

Carolyn H said...

Squirrel: I'm glad you're enjoying my photos. One day I hope I can get a camera with a close-up lens--maybe when I win the lottery.

Carolyn H.