Friday, October 23, 2009

Behind schedule


The weekend is fast approaching, so it must mean it’s time for another two inches of rain. Really, is it any wonder I never get my outside work done? And just because I don’t have a lawn to mow, that doesn’t mean I don’t have any outside work.

True, I have a lot less outside work than yard-owners but I still have some. I am now approaching ankle-deep in leaves on the back deck. That needs to be taken care of. I worked on the gutters some before the last storm, but they aren’t really done. I have the undergrowth that appeared behind the cabin this year that needs to be pruned or weed-whacked.

I’ve been trying to lay stones to create a walkway along the side of cabin for the entire spring and summer and that’s still not done. I’ve been collecting nice, flat stones for some time and likely still don’t have enough, but I have more than enough to get started with—if the weather would cooperate.

I have plans to create a portable storm barrier for the chickens for this winter. I’ve gotten two medium-sized pieces of plywood and want to drill holes along the side edges so I can tie them along whatever side of the chicken pen is facing a storm. I want to stain them too, and let the stain cure before I need to use them. Well, that project is starting to look as though there’s no hope of getting that done before cold weather really sets in.

At this point of the year, I am usually in a mad-dash to finish my outside projects. In summer, I am waiting for cooler weather. In the fall, I need decent weekend weather to make progress. This year, well, what can I say? It’s not looking good.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I really think the weather develop a mind of it's own this year. it's gets to a point, where you don't want to plan anything unless you want your hopes dash.

Pablo said...

We took advantage of a rare dry and sunny morning to rake leaves in our yard and put down grass seed. Just in time because it began raining in the afternoon and looks like it will rain all week.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Hi Carolyn, just stopping by to say hi and compare the progress of fall down there in PA compared to up here in northern NY. Very similar patterns with a few degrees difference in temperature and a week or so difference in leaf color and fall. Following your blog feels like tramping about your lovely property. Thanks for sharing your place with us.

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: here, it's been 5 weekends in a row that were a partial or a complete wash-out. Friday nights have been the worst, so the high school football fans are really whining.

Carolyn H.

Carolyn H said...

Pablo: Sunday here this week was nice--a vast improvement over previous weekends. Still, one nice day isn't enough for me to catch-up after 5 weekends of rain.

Carolyn H.

Carolyn H said...

Woodwalker. This weekend was the peak for leaves this year, I'd suspect. At least, I don't see how they could get much more brilliant than they were.

Carolyn h.