Friday, May 09, 2008

The Sky Overhead Diminishes

The weather is gray and rainy today, which I’m sure the forest vegetation around the cabin will appreciate. The leaves grow ever larger and thicker, a little more each day. I still have a small view of the sky directly overhead, but I will likely lose that in the next few days. To really look at the sky and see what the weather is like, I have to walk to the end of the driveway and down the lane to a spot about .2 mile away where the trees don’t crowd the edge of the lane.

I have yet to see any new fawns, but another batch of Canada goslings has arrived. This is a full brood of seven little ones. This morning mom and dad were parading them around the parking lot at Roundtop. Over the weekend I’ve seen scarlet tanager and this morning had a very wet rose-breasted grosbeak in my feeders. The Baltimore orioles were chasing each other and singing. I can think of just two summer residents that haven’t yet arrived—the peewee and the great-crested flycatcher.

Baby Dog and I took a nice long walk on Sunday afternoon before the rain started. I’ll post photos of that tomorrow.

4 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Do you ever feel hemmed in by all those trees? In some ways, I love to see the horizon ... see how the weathers moving in etc. Our own yard has a good number of trees so that we mostly see what the weather's like overhead ... it's not until one walks out of the yard that one sees what the rest of the world is doing. Here the weather is very changeable. Rain one minute, sun the next ... there is a local saying, "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes"!

Carolyn H said...

Cicero: yes, I do feel hemmed in by the trees sometimes. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say I miss having a nice, open view in the summer months. In a way, that's why I started my experiment, as some people tend not to appreciate just how much "hemming" there is during the leafy months.

Carolyn H.

Dana and Daisy said...

Carolyn, I mentioned the obscured view in my blog today also. Your descriptions of birds has made me want to get a bird book and start identifying the ones I see around the cabin. Do you put feed out for them? And if so, do you do it year-round?

Carolyn H said...

Dana: I feed my birds as long as they eat the food. Sometimes, in midsummer, there's so much natural food around that my feeders aren't much used and the seed goes to waste. When/if that happens, I stop feeding them and then put the feeder back up again around Labor Day. This year the birds are still feeding.

Carolyn H.