Friday, May 16, 2008

Experiment Day!

I've reached a point in my weekly experiment where the change in the forest this week is less dramatic than it has been for the past several weeks. The trees are well leafed out now, so it is time for the change in the undergrowth to really take over. And I can see differences. It's just that they are more subtle now than was the change from winter to spring.

Several of the trees in the distant background are now obscured or invisible. in the foreground, the mayapples are taller. Fewer brown leaves are visible on the forest floor, mostly because I am seeing less floor to the forest. And though I didn't think it was possible, this week's photo is even greener than last week's. Or maybe that's simply because there's even more green to see.


I'm honestly not sure how long I'll continue my experiment. My first thought was that I'd do it until spring was "over" or at least until the changes weren't as dramatic as they were during the big growing season. Now, I'm toying with the idea of continuing it for a full year, though the logistics of that may at some point prove impossible. It's one thing take a photo every Thursday evening for several weeks, but I'm not sure I can reasonably commit to doing that for a full year.

Still, I am going to continue it for a while, however long that while may be. I'd like to see the green change from this bright shade of early spring to the deep emerald of mid-summer. And then, of course, fall should be very interesting and pretty. And winter could be good too, at least if I have some snow during the upcoming winter (only 210 day to winter solstice). We'll see. That's about the most I will say for now.

4 comments:

KGMom said...

If you were to continue your experiment for a year, you could then take each photo and load them onto a photo viewer in sequence and have a sort of time-lapse "movie." That would be neat.
I wish there were time lapse movies of many places here in central PA. I think it would be interesting to see the neighborhood where I live morph from forest to farm to suburbia. Of course, I would like to see the photography continue on into the future--and perhaps it would return to forest some day.

Ruth said...

The leaves have grown so much this week in your location and here. Last night I could hear birds in the trees that I could not see at all.

Georg said...

Bonjour Carolyn,

You are certainly up to something new and impressive, viz. to concentrate on one tiny spot.

One year round and then lets have those photos.

Georg

Seabrooke said...

My mom has an artist friend who some years ago did an exhibit of sunrises. Specifically, watching the change of its position as it rose every day by photographing the exact same frame at sunrise every day for 365 days. Or, I assume there were 365 - I'm not sure what happened if she got sick or had to leave town. Maybe she never did.

I liked the experiment, and I thought it was really neat to watch the sun move across the frame and back. However, I think she missed the mark with her chosen landscape - she set up facing a strip mall in town. It would've been such a more dramatic series if she'd set up the same distance away from her house but down the other road, overlooking a river valley.

In any case, I think you should try to keep the experiment up, it's so neat to watch the changes. But not to worry too much if you have to miss a week here or there.