Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Full moon with spruce

The forest is starting to dry off, at least around the edges, so I was able to explore a bit yesterday. Mushrooms, to no one’s surprise, I’m sure, are popping up everywhere. So far, I haven’t seen any that are unusual or gorgeous. I’ve just seen lots of the standard varieties.

Since it’s been nearly a full week since I was last able to wander around the woods, I saw more leaves turning color than I expected. The driveways and roads were littered with leaves torn off by Hurricane Irene for a few days, but now that they have disappeared I really can’t see that the canopy looks thinner than it did before.

Fall bird migration is already well underway. Raptor counts are picking up with several sites already counting more than 1000 hawks in a day. Counters are also reporting large numbers and variety of songbirds. The summer residents are heading south and will soon be gone.

I am looking forward to the change of seasons. I actually have more sunlight in the winter than in summer, and this year the leaf canopy has been particularly thick and the sunlight lacking. With the drop in leaves will come a view of the sky and the mountains to the west, both of which have been invisible to me for the past few months. Even though the birds are leaving, the open sky and the mountain will give me something beautiful to look at. I'm ready for that.

3 comments:

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'm ready for autumn too. I'm a foul-weather bird-watcher - I like nothing better than to be out and about when everyone else is in and abed. I love the winter migrants that visit us, raptors from Scandanavia, swans from Russia and Greenland, Snow Buntings from Iceland......and I'll probably have a poke about for those autumn fungi too.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Thanks for giving US something beautiful to look at with your photo of moon and spruce.

SHG said...

Great photo Carolyn. I am reminded that the Halloween decorations have to be taken out. I plan to really scare the kids. I hope it is a night like the one you photographed. Thanx for sharing.