Thursday, February 25, 2010

Frosting

So far it’s a pretty little snow.

The forest looks sprinkled, each tiny twig or fir needle highlighted with sparkling white. Last week’s snows were already fading to dingy white, but this new storm makes it all new again.

The forest is silent with falling snow, for the moment the expected hurricane winds not yet rising and everything is still.

This morning for the first time since the last snow, I saw rabbit tracks. Dog plunged his nose into them and was ready to follow the trail, vastly disappointed when our path diverged from the rabbit’s.

For now it’s a pretty little snow. Perhaps it will stay that way. Perhaps not. I will focus on the “now” and see where that path takes me.

6 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm about 4 inches now and just finishing shoveling off the deck. My arms are letting me know, it was a tab heavy.

but you have to admit, to kinda to nice to wake up with snow falling.

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: I love to wake up with snow falling--even if it's at 3 a.m. (Baby Dog saw the raccoon again). It is so quiet and still.

Carolyn H

Grizz………… said...

Glad to read you weren't again buried by piles of snow—or without power due to blizzard winds and falling trees. Throw those hens another scoop of blueberries!

Carolyn H said...

Griz: so far no blizzard, but the winds are due later tonight. I hope they stay someplace else.

Carolyn H.

Cathy said...

Well as of 7.47pm , it looks like a blizzard at my end. Up to maybe 9 inches of snow.

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

We finally got some snow in upstate NY, but sloppy stuff that got rained on today. It was nice to see your photos of pretty snow.