Friday, February 26, 2010

Banshees and demons

Last night the wind howled and screamed across the mountain like a demented banshee. The wind woke me up more than once. The dogs were restless, too. Baby Dog saw two raccoons in the bird feeders, and you’d have thought we were being attacked by blood-eyed demons.

I haven’t gotten much new snow from this latest big nor’easter, but with these winds the roads are closing down left and right. Half an hour after a plow goes through, a road is closed again.

I almost didn't make it through the drift up ahead in this shot.  I saw it ahead and nearly took the side road to the right to avoid it, only to think about where the side road went and decided that could prove worse further along.  So I gunned the car and made it through. It was actually two drifts, one along the right side of the road and a second along the left side. I plunged through the middle where it was marginally less drifted and kept going.  That was the worst of my morning commute, thank heaven.  

3 comments:

Cathy said...

OMG!! the snow!!! I have big drifts!! I'll be shoveling all afternoon just clear off the deck and front porch. I think I got another maybe 12-15 on top the 9 I got on Wed. Still haven't plow out my road yet.

And yea, that wind roar through here last night. Naturally didn't sleep too well either.

Ok I'm going download what photo I took this morning and post them .

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: Yes, it sure sounded as though your area was going to get a direct hit from this storm. I got several inches of new snow but the drifts look as though I had lots more. of course, some of that old snow probably drifted with it.

Here, the storm is supposed to let up around noon-ish. I sure hope that's the case.

Take care. I hope the plow truck shows up soon.

Carolyn H.

Cathy said...

yea, I think i got brunt of it. Well I post some pictures at my blog. Now I'm going eat some lunch and go out snap more pics. Then start shovelling it. Ugh!