Those who have been reading my blog for a while may remember the experiment I did in the woods behind my cabin this spring. Each week I dutifully took a photograph of the same spot so I could see how the forest changed from week to week as spring progressed in the woods. I took photos starting from when the snow melted although the way through the end of spring’s arrival. Eventually, the foliage didn’t get any more lush from week to week and I ended my experiment (see blog labels titled Experiment for details). My original idea was to document just how dense the foliage gets.
Last night I decided to reinvestigate my spot, as I’m thinking I may try the same experiment in reverse during the autumn. My first realization as I trudged out back is that I chose the wrong spot for my original experiment. I now have the battle scars to prove it. The forest right behind the cabin is far more densely grown than the spot I chose to photograph. That’s what today’s photograph is. This is what I stumbled, hacked and scraped through to reach my experiment spot. I am actually not more than 50 feet behind the cabin. You can (sort of) see the roof line. Well, I can see the roof line because I know where it is. Trust me it’s there.
When I actually got to my experiment spot, it didn’t look any different (yet) than it did this spring. But compared to the dense foliage in the photograph in front of you, it looks like a desert. I guess that’s what experiments are for. You find out how to make the next one better.