Friday, June 20, 2008

Summer's Golden Light

Brown-eyed susans are as much a flower of the early summer here as yesterday’s daisies. The two often grow together, too, with the wild edges and banks all displaying a pretty variety of summer color right now. Summer’s morning light is not too harsh for these beauties, and the golden light of early morning only enhances their color.

To me, it feels now as though summer is settling in for the long haul. The hot weather of two weeks ago already feels like a distant memory, and the cooler weather is much appreciated. Still, the place has the feel of summer. Sometimes I think it’s the light of a season that makes me sense when that season has arrived. The quality of light that surrounds me at any given moment isn’t usually something I’m usually conscious of, but when I look at photographs I’ve taken in winter, the first thing I notice is how weak the light seems.

This weekend is the summer solstice, and although the hottest weather of this year is still 4-6 weeks in front of me, the light will already be turning towards the dark time of year and winter. But for today, the brown-eyed susans face the light and bring me joy.

2 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Our Brown Eyed Susans are just budding up. I took some neat pictures of the buds just yesterday. Went we went south a couple of weeks ago, I noticed they were already blooming at the lower elevations. We live at 945 meters so things take a little longer.

Anonymous said...

That's what I thought when the news people mention it was summer solstice today. Yes, that means the days will be getting shorter and fall is on it's way.