Thursday, February 21, 2008

Surprises


Did you see the eclipse of the moon last night?

I didn't expect to be able to see it, as the afternoon and evening brought me 4 inches of the frothiest snow I've about ever seen. The snow was like bubbles. I could blow it away. As it was still snowing at 7:30 p.m., I figured my chances of seeing the eclipse were nil.

So imagine my surprise when I went outside shortly before 10 p.m. to walk the dogs. The sky was clear, and high overhead was the moon, growing smaller and darker with every passing moment. What a beautiful sight. I watched it for a good 30 minutes before the chill drove me back indoors.

Note: My Sit Spot Journal through day five is now posted here

3 comments:

nina at Nature Remains. said...

What a treat for us last night, too.
I often hope to see what so many rave about, only to find our cloudy skies prevent it.
Last night was a beautiful surprise--as you say!

Anonymous said...

It clear up by me too. But I'm dealing with a cold right, so my looking at eclipse was just a brief dash outside. Hopefully the next one will be on a warmer night without me going achoo!

Getting my snow tomorrow, if all goes right, might get 10 inches.

Carolyn H said...

Nina: It's usually cloud for me too when neat things happen in the sky. Now, if I can only have clear weather the next time the aurora comes this far south...

Cathy: I hope your cold is better. I'm up to 4-5 inches, but the forecast says ice is on the way--again.

Carolyn H.