Monday, February 18, 2008

Small Update - Sit Spot

I've started doing a 30-day Sit Spot Challenge. The challenge is to spend 20 minutes a day sitting outside in a favorite spot and just noticing what goes on in the natural world around you. Thanks to Jennifer from A Passion For Nature for the tip. Although the "official" start of the 30 day challenge was February 15, the sponsoring organization doesn't mind if people start on other days. You can find more information about the Sit Spot here.

I've had to sit after dark one day and near sunset on the other two days, and it's been a bit chilly. It's rained on 2 of the days I've sat outside, though not a downpour on either day.

Still, I'm finding this an interesting exercise. Even living in the woods, I too often find myself seeing the woods around me only on my way to or from someplace else or while doing something other than simply observing what's going on around me. The Sit Spot is helping me slow down and simply notice whatever is happening.

I'm planning to create a new blog where I will post my Sit Spot journal, but I likely won't get to that for a day or two.

5 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Jennifer inspired me to start the Sit-Spot challenge and I have 4 days behind me. It's been good ... but I've had 4 days of sun shine. What if it turns yucky ... oh well, I'm committed! Looking forward to reading your musings.

Chris said...

Very neat assignment! You're a trooper for toughing it out during rainy conditions, I bet you'll discover a lot! I look forward to your results.
:)

Anonymous said...

Interesting Concept...at this time I think I'm a bit too busy to do it though. I know, a sad commentary on the state of my life right now!
Vern

Anonymous said...

I once sat by a pond (in the same spot under a tree) for more than an hour waiting for some people to arrive. (They never came.) I got to see a great deal more than if I had sat only for a few minutes or just passed by. Of course, that was a lovely fall day. Why did the organizers pick this time of the year for sitting outside?

Carolyn H said...

Cicero: last night I had a meeting and didn't get home until 9 p.m. Sit Spot was tough last night.

Chris: I hope Sit Spot will be interesting and valuable enough to get me through the tough days.

Vern: I don't know how I'm going to do it, either. We'll see how it goes.

Pablo: i've wondered too wny the Sit Spot people chose February - March. Perhaps to teach humility??
They are from the Pacific northwest, so perhaps the timing isn't as difficult for them.

Carolyn H.