Friday, June 29, 2007

You Were Warned

Readers were warned last week that I like to take photos of farmer lilies and that you were likely to see more on this page. So you shouldn't be surprised by today's photo.

That said, the real reason you're seeing this photo today is that the weather hasn't yet cleared after storms ovenight, so getting an interesting photo this morning wasn't possible.

I was lucky last night. The storms were neither intense nor long-lasting. The rain was odd, though. Last night my Maine Coon cat Ben (who should be named Total Destruction) had to go to the vet's for a routine shot. Naturally, just as it was time to leave, the skies opened up in a torrent of rain. The rain held off until I opened the cabin door to leave. By the time I reached the car door just 10 steps from the cabin, I was soaked and carrying a very unhappy cat. By the time I'd driven to the bottom of the lane, about 1/8 of a mile, there were puddles. By the time I was out the gates and starting up the hill, water was streaming down the road and the gullies were nearly full. I almost pulled off the road as I could barely see to drive.

But I kept going, and in another half mile the sky looked a bit brighter. The vet's is just a 10 minute drive away, on the other side of the mountain. And as soon as I got to the other side of the mountain, the road was dry. They hadn't had a drop of rain. I arrived soaked to the skin. As the crows fly, the vet's office is about 2 miles from the cabin. And in that short distance the difference was no rain versus hoping I still had Noah on speed dial and that the ark hadn't left yet.

When I got back to the cabin just 20 minutes later the cloudburst was over. I'd had just under three-quarters of an inch of rain in about 10 minutes or so. Weird, huh?

3 comments:

Susannah Anderson said...

Hi,

This is one of my favourite blogs, so I had to do it: you have been tagged with the 8 things meme.

See the rules, etc., here .

You're it!
:)

ChicagoLady said...

Our rain this past week has been very localized. Some areas have deluges, other areas don't see a drop. One area of Chicago had 6 inches of rain in 45 minutes. Naturally, the sewers couldn't keep up, and there was some streets flooded.

Carolyn H said...

WW: Yikes! This meme is more work than I expected!

Chicago Lady: At least we're not in Texas this past week. Now those folks are getting a lot of rain!