Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Appalachianglow


Since I don’t live in the alps, I don’t see a true alpenglow in the mornings. I do live in the Appalachians, however, so I’m calling this view Appalachianglow, created by this morning's rising sun highlighting the top of the mountain to my west.
Here at the cabin, spring has pretty much reached its peak. The eastern-pewees have arrived, and they are usually the last of the summer residents to set up shop. Surprising to me this year, the pewees arrived before I saw the first Baltimore oriole. Usually it’s the other way around, sometimes by as much as 7-10 days. The dawn chorus is now in full voice.
In other news, the first of baby killdeer are out, and these tiny miniatures of the adult birds are already past the bumblebee size.
The local blue jays have discovered the cat food dish and have taken to eating cat food. I can’t believe it’s good for them, but they seem to love it.
Over the weekend I held an ovenbird in my hands for a few minutes. I was awakened Saturday morning by a "thud" against the window. I went outside and found the bird, stunned, underneath the window. I picked it up and held it in my palm. After a few minutes it seemed as though it would recover, but I was getting cold as I was standing outside in my pajamas and flip-flops. I put the bird in a flower pot and covered it with a washcloth, while I went inside to put something more on. When I came out, the bird had already gone.
I sometimes have trouble with birds hitting my windows, especially in the early morning and sunset hours. I keep the curtains drawn and have a hawk decal, but these don’t seem to solve the problem during those murkier hours of the day. Every few years one of the birds doesn’t make it, though most need only a few minutes rest before they are flying again.
I used to bring the birds into the house to recover, placing them into a basket with a towel over top of it, but after having a junco loose in the house, flying towards the windows with frenzied cats in pursuit, I stopped attempting that.
I am ever amazed at how such tiny birds, like the ovenbird, can make the long and arduous trip north from the tropics, and how their song can fill the woods with sound. I heard several singing this morning and hoped one of them was "my" bird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!!Blogger going let me leave comment. Last night I couldn't bring up the comment page.

Glad you went on your hike over teh weekend. It was wonderful weekend, except I wasn't feeling well. Oh well.

I just love it when the birds hit the windows and when you go check it. there's few feather still stuck of the window. I also done, let's bring the bird inside to recover. Had used a broom to get the bird off the ceiling beams. Don't worry we didn't hit the bird with it. Just made get on and got it outside.

As for the Carolina wren, it's been here for the three years. Global warming? probably but I rather think it got tired of the carolina's scene. You can laugh!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo. That will brighten my whole day.

Carolyn H said...

Cathy,

Blogger has been difficult for me for a few days too. Just when it's going well, it throws a fit!

Pablo,

I'm glad you liked the photo. I going to try again for that shot on the next sunny day. The mountain still isn't fully leafed, and some of the leaves aren't showing the green as much as I'd like.

Carolyn H.