Monday, January 08, 2007

No Snow


This is how Roundtop looked yesterday. It's not a pretty picture at all. With a little luck, this photo should change in the next day or so, as it is supposed to get colder again, and the resort should be able to make more snow. Unfortunately, for cold weather enthusiasts like me, it's only supposed to stay cold for three days before warming up again.

I suppose if I could find any good news in the expected future warm-up, it's that it's not supposed to get nearly as warm as it was this past weekend, when it set a record (67 degrees F). Instead of 30 degrees above normal temperatures, it's only supposed to be 10 degrees above normal during the upcoming weekend warm-up.

It has been quite rainy here, limiting my wanderings. I don't like traipsing through mud, and every place I walk is ankle-deep in that right now. I had a respite from poor weather for a few hours on Saturday and took both Dog and Baby Dog for extended walks--or at least extended compared to earlier in the week. I haven't been able to get as deep into the woods as I prefer, but it was better than walking up and down the driveway.

Baby Dog needs some camping practice, and I did find a spot where I hope we can "practice camp" later in the spring. I haven't yet attempted taking both dogs camping at the same time, as I don't think I'm ready for the fracas I expect that will be. I keep hoping that Baby Dog will settle down with a little more practice so that her antsiness won't infect Dog. At first I hoped Dog would be a calming influence, but the reality was that her unease infected Dog, rather than his calm settling her. Such is life.

No comments: