Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Starting the Day

I am enjoying the last few days, for a while at least, of daylight in the morning. This weekend the country “springs forward” to start daylight savings time. It will be great to have more light after I get home from work (sunset is now just before 6:30 p.m.), but it means my early morning walks with the dogs will be dark ones again for a while. For the past week or so, I have been waking up gently before the alarm’s ring while the day gradually lightens. Night starts to pale shortly after 5 a.m.here, though actual sunrise isn’t until I’m about to leave the house for work.

The early morning light also wakes the dogs, and they usually make it almost impossible for me to stay abed until the time when alarm would go off. They think the growing light is reason to wake up and start playing. They bounce and snort and show their teeth, play bowing next to the bed, bumping into the bookcase and the dresser, knocking things in all directions. Baby Dog is usually the instigator of this, though Dog never says no to participating in the fun. Baby Dog apparently thinks that greeting the new day means she has to act as though she hasn’t seen Dog in years and has to make up for lost time. Two dogs that have been separated for months couldn’t be more enthusiastic when they first see each other than my two.

No comments: