Wednesday, September 23, 2009

So how do you celebrate fall?


Fall is sneaking in on Roundtop Mtn., one leaf at a time, one plant at a time. It reminds me a bit of a stray cat that’s looking to become a house cat. Each day it’s a bit more bold, a bit further in the door.

Today, the red of the rose hips caught my eye as I wandered around the woods. Rose hips are used in a variety of things, from jams to teas to oils. All of the recipes sound too labor intensive for me to bother with. My idea of food preparation usually involves as little preparation as possible, except for coffee, where I never take shortcuts.

Will today be the last warm day of the year? It could be. Thunderstorms are predicted for later today but once the storms are through, the temperature is to drop about 10 degrees and spend at least the next week somewhere shy of 70 degrees during the day. In celebration of the season’s change, I am wearing my sandals for the last time before they get put away until springtime.

I suppose you could say that wearing sandals is a funny way of celebrating the equinox and the new season, but there you have it. Our ancestors built Stonehenge and aligned giant rocks by hand just so, and I’m wearing sandals. That doesn’t seem like an advancement, does it?

From my point of view, it’s an important step to put away the summer clothing that must be worn during summer’s heat and move on to clothing that’s sturdier and comfortable and can be layered or not as the day allows. So let our ancestors have Stonehenge, I’m getting out the fall sweaters.

10 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I LOVE change of the seasons here in the north and especially love fall. I'm home sick with a cold today (hoping it's not H1N1 as it's runniing wild through the hospital where I work and my kids' high school)and my plan is to get out the winter clothes bins and swap out my tanks and sleeveless blouses for sweatshirts and sweaters. There will be pot roast and potatoes in the crock pot for supper and pumkin pie (store bought) for dessert. This is my season!

squirrel said...

Carolyn, I think sandles are a nice way to celebrate. I'm stacking wood and moving summer cloths to the basement and winter ones up stairs. I love fall colors and the even smell of burning leaves. Mind you I don't burn them but everyone else on this mountain does. I had to laugh at your cooking comment. I avoid cooking if it involves more than three steps or ingredients. I have discovered the joy of raw food.

Carolyn H said...

Lynne: I hope it's not H1N1, too! Everytime I hear someone cough or sniffle around me, my mind immediately assumes that's what it is! But if you don't have a fever, it won't be H1N1.

Carolyn H.

Carolyn H said...

Squirrel, I do raw food as often as possible, too. Or refrigerated food that doesn't need cooking, like cottage cheese. Once or twice a year in winter I get ambitious and make soup or something, but that's about it! Too much to see and do to spend the time inside cooking--at least that's how I see it.

Carolyn H.

squirrel said...

Carolyn, I agree. I'll have to add cottage cheese to my list. I was wondering why you write your blog. I do enjoy it. What motivates you to write? I'm going to ask a few of my other favorite bloggers the same question. I'm questioning my own and thought I might get some insight from you. Thanks for you time. You can email me directly if you prefer.

Grizz………… said...

Still shorts and tees and sneakers weather here by the riverbank. The grass still requires weekly cutting, and you need mosquito dope when you go to the woods. I saw a garter snake in the woodpile this afternoon. And there are bumble bees and asters and a handy supply of redworms to be unearthed with a single scoop of the shovel should the desire for fishbait arise.

I could go swimming in the pool in front of the cottage this evening—skinnydipping if I didn't mind embarrassing the ducks.

It's more summery here today than it was any day in July! Not time to go to the attic and exchange wardrobes yet.

Cathy said...

I celebrate the new fall by taking too many pictures of the color leaves. However right now, I'm coming down with a cold. grr.

Carolyn H said...

Griz: Thunderstorms and cooler weather here, but more storms today. Why do all the storms take longer to arrive than predicted? I've never been able to understand that one.

Carolyn h.

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: As long as it's not swine flu....

Drink some tea and sit back and enjoy the fall colors. The cold might actually be a good excuse for that!

Carolyn H.

Cicero Sings said...

How do I celebrate fall ... with gratefulness in my heart. I love the cooler temps and NO BUGS and the colors.