Thursday, January 31, 2008

Wishing and Hoping


So why is she posting a photo of a wasp's nest? I can just about hear people asking that and scratching their heads. Well, that's a good question. I would really love to have that wasp's nest sitting decoratively somewhere in my cabin, perhaps on the top shelf of a bookcase, displayed artfully with a bit of the branch it's on.

I pass this wasp nest every morning and evening, and every time I pass it I look at it longingly, willing it to fall down so I can retrieve it. It really doesn't look as though it's going to come down any time soon, but I can dream, can't I?


As you can see from the photo, today is clear and calm ahead of more freezing rain predicted for tomrrow. Oh, joy! Just what I don't need. So far the feeder birds are unworried--no feeding frenzys yet--so I'll try and forget about that for now and just enjoy the pretty day.


Tomorrow I'll post my January walking bird list--26 species here at the cabin. By the number of species, the month was entirely ordinary. But the species I saw were way better than usual

9 comments:

dguzman said...

I have been seeing a lot of these lately in the bare tree branches. they are kinda cool, but I'd be scared witless to even go near it for fear of some hobo wasp still hanging around in it.

Carolyn H said...

Dguzman: I think I'd be willing to try to pick up a wasp nest this time of year. I'd think those wasps would be pretty slow when it's 15 degrees in the morning.

Carolyn H

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Cool wasp nest--but I'd be afraid some would wake up and buzz around, very unhappily!

Anonymous said...

I had one hanging off a tree, down the street, it lasted until an animal got into it or the kids got very brave or stupid and chucked rocks at it.

Anonymous said...

A wasp nest proverb - The things we want most often sting us!
Vern

Anonymous said...

I did find one fallen wasp nest at Roundrock. Unfortunately, the wasps were still using it and pretty angry about the situation. I got nailed twice as I ran from it. When I went back two weeks later, all evidence of the nest was gone. Eaten by raccoons, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the wind will help to loosen it. I've seen those nests too. They are pretty neatly constructed. I look forward to reading your bird list. That's a lot of bird species.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the wind will help to loosen it. I've seen those nests too, and they are pretty neatly constructed.

Carolyn H said...

All: it sounds as though I'm not the only one who would like a wasp nest for decoration--if only we could get them as easily as we wish for them!

Carolyn H.