Monday, November 26, 2007

Searching for Serenity


My blog was unexpectedly quiet for a few days, due to connection issues. Wouldn't it be nice if life was as serene as today's image? I took the photo on Sunday morning just before dawn with the moon setting in the west over Nell's Hill.
Sometimes I need to look to nature to remind myself that I'm the one who's making my life feel less than serene. The natural world goes on, whatever else is happening, moving in its own slow time. If there's anything nearby that's as close to timeless as we will ever know during our time here on earth, it's this planet on which we all live.
Some times I can almost hear nature telling me that it's no big deal, that whatever is stressing me out is not even worth noticing. The sun will still rise in the east. The full moon will still set in the west and will continue to do so long after I am gone.
In the meantime, I try and remember and to notice that I am surrounded by small and large beauties everywhere I look. My photos are simply reminders of those beauties, these every day blessings. The serenity is always there. I simply need to remember how to look.

5 comments:

dguzman said...

Too true. Lovely post.

Anonymous said...

Good advice Carolyn. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to find a photograph that makes me feel serene and put it up as a screen-saver, and a post card and on my blog, too. Very serene, indeed. Thanks.

Carolyn H said...

Having a photo that says "serenity" as a screen saver is a good idea. Maybe it will help me take a deep breath and find a piece of it wherever I am. Thanks for the suggestion!

Carolyn H.

Anonymous said...

Nature always restores me, too. In fact... I should go for a walk this morning...

Chris said...

WoW The lake is like a mirror! Your words are so true. Thanks for the true perspective. :)