Monday, February 20, 2006

Roof woes and Baby Dog learns to growl

I’ve been so, so tempted lately to rush out and buy a semi-cheap digital camera so I can quickly post pictures to the blog. Well, that temptation was squelched this weekend. I had high winds on Friday night into Saturday. Sometime on Saturday I noticed these little black things in my driveway. On closer inspection I realized they were pieces of shingles from the roof. I’m missing what looks to be 10-12 shingles entirely from the NE corner of the cabin. So whatever money I can scrape together (and probably more that I don’t have) will need to go towards new shingles for the roof this spring. It probably also means I’ll have to wait another year to buy a new stove (heck, I’ve been getting by with one burner, a microwave and a toaster over for a year now, so I guess I can go another year). Why couldn’t I have been the one to win that S365 million Powerball jackpot, not some unknown someone in Lincoln Nebraska??

My cold is making me grumpy (can’t you tell?). The poor dogs didn’t get much exercise this weekend, though I tried to make it up with attention. Dog spent Saturday afternoon sleeping on the bed with me, to his great satisfaction. Baby Dog has graduated from sleeping in the crate to sleeping in the bedroom doorway, though I still have to tie her to keep her in one place. She’s doing really well, though, so I might be able to get rid of the indoor leash soon, though.

This morning Baby Dog growled when one of the cats wandered into her space while she was eating breakfast. She didn’t like the cat in there at all, though she doesn’t mind if I pet her when she’s eating. Although I’ve never heard her growl when she’s eating before, in a way it’s not a surprise. She’s taken to barking angrily if she sees one of the cats doing something she doesn’t approve of. Bad Cat #1 was trying to claw his way into an unopened 20lb bag of cat food Saturday night, and Baby Dog let him (and me!) know that this activity was unacceptable. I think she’s going to be the house tattletale.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Yikes !!!! I hope you don't have replace the whole roof!!! Hope you feel better real soon.

Carolyn H said...

Rhiannon,

Thanks for the good wishes. I sure hope I don't have to replace the whole roof, too. i don't even want to think about that!

I'm finally starting to feel a little better. i'm still coughing and blowing like crazy, but my energy level is improving, so I'm on the mend!