Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Tattered

 
This tiger swallowtail is pretty tattered. It’s already had a rough life, even though the season is still early and the butterfly probably didn’t appear much before sometime in May. Perhaps the recent heavy rains damaged it before it could find shelter. So far this year I’ve seen a lot of them around my cabin. Some years are better than others for the species, and this year seems to be a good one. Typically I will find them into September, rarely later than that.

They often fly pretty high. I’ve seen them up near the tops of trees around my forest, but enticing bloom will bring them down to a level where I can photograph them. This one decided to rest on one of my outdoor chairs. If I was as tattered as this swallowtail, I’d need to rest pretty often, too.

1 comment:

Sharkbytes said...

It's amazing how flying things still manage even with missing "things." I saw a vulture yesterday with many many missing feathers, but it seemed to hardly notice.