Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Snow pants or sandals?


Intersection of Lake Lea and Hickory Rds., Franklin Township, York  County PA
Talk about a roller coaster!  Upper 40’s one minute and -6 degrees a day later.  I can’t keep track of whether I need to wear snow pants or sandals.

The wind has been terrible, with gusts up to 40 mph and sustained winds at 25-30 mph.  Combined with the below zero temperature, that’s colder than I’ve felt in some years.
Didn't get outside early enough to record the -6 temperature

So far, me and my critters, including the chickens, are holding on and doing well.  Doodle even crowed this morning, which was a welcome sound after listening to the wind roar and watching the temperature drop lower and lower through much of the night. Tonight the temperature is supposed to stay above zero but since it’s still only 2 degrees at 1 p.m.  I’m not sure I believe that.  Still, the wind is beginning to diminish, if still in the double digits, so that’s some improvement.  I’ll take what little improvement there is wherever I can find it.

Mornings are still quite dark. I took the photo of Roundtop yesterday around 7:30 a.m. It was still too dark to take a photo out in the woods, so I let the lights on the ski slopes mountain brighten the image.  I’ll be happier when it’s finally light enough in the mornings to take photos in the woods again.  Oh, and it wouldn’t hurt to be a bit warmer, either.  
Roundtop Mountain Resort

1 comment:

Sharkbytes said...

The resort does look pretty with the halos around the lights. Sandals at 40! You must like your feet cool. Hope you don't mean for extended outside walks.