Friday, February 24, 2012

Murphy's Law


 While it has always been true that nothing ever goes as planned and Murphy’s Law reigns supreme, I think both must be even more true in this technological age of ours. Things break.

Our ancestors had the same problem, I’m sure, if on a different level. What do you do when a wheel to the horse wagon breaks? Well, if you’re in town it’s probably nothing more than an afternoon’s hassle, but if you’re between towns or out on the frontier somewhere, that accident can suddenly become life-threatening.

Today we have more technology than ever, both appliances and electronics. We have tons of that stuff. When it works, it’s wonderful and time-saving. When it doesn’t, all that time-saving goes down the drain, and we spend time trying to get it fixed or getting a new one. Given the amount of technology we have, sometimes keeping everything in good repair feels like its own full-time job.
Today it’s the USB cord that I use to download photos from my camera to the computer, which means I can take all the photos I want, but I currently have no way to get them out of the camera. I’ve ordered a new cord but until it arrives early next week I won’t be posting any new photos. Sometime this weekend I will likely dig out an old point and shoot camera that I haven’t used in years and see if I can make that work again temporarily.
So in the meantime, I’m posting a few photos of what a winter should really look like, just so we don’t forget.

 

5 comments:

cathy said...

you could a card reader too. SanDisk makes a good one. That's what I use.

I got a big of surprise when I woke up this morning. About 4 inches of snow! I wasn't suppose to get that, it was suppose to turn over to rain. Have pictures but post them later.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Get yourself a card-reader as a back up, then you can just pop the memory card out of the camera and into the card-reader. It's often quicker to download that way too. Favourite definition of Murphy's Law - "When a body is wholly or partially immersed in a fluid - the phone rings!"

David Cooney said...

You might get a card reader, they are inexpensive, faster and don't use the camera battery.


Dave

Cicero Sings said...

One time I left the camera chord at the coast ... what a pain THAT was. Six weeks I suffered without downloading my pictures.

We've had plenty of snow our way ... especially the last couple of weeks.

Carolyn H said...

I guess everyone else uses a card reader :) They do sound like a good thing, though don't you have to remove the card from the camera to use one? With the USB cord, I don't have to bother with that.