Friday, August 05, 2011

Shorter days

The cool morning and leftover humidity from last evening’s showers made for a foggy morning here. At Roundtop, the fog was so thick that photography was not an option by the time I headed off the mountain. When I reached the neighboring orchard, the fog was already starting to lift.

It was another weather-caused headlamp trip on my morning dog walk, but within another day or two, the headlamp will be needed whatever the weather turns out to be. Sunrise changes by just a minute each morning, but since I get up at the same time each day, that little minute or so becomes very noticeable in just a very few number of days.

At this point in the year, I’m losing two minutes of daylight a day. Sunrise is one minute later each day and sunset one minute earlier. That adds up quickly in a week. When the days were longer my rooster would wake me up in the mornings, but now I think turning my bedroom light on wakes him up. For the past week he has started crowing within a minute of that light going on. Tomorrow, I’m going to try and fool him. I won’t turn the light on and see how long it takes him to catch on!

No comments: