Thursday, May 19, 2011

Wet in the woods

Around this area, everyone was pretty tired of all the rain three weeks ago.  At this point, none of us really know what to say except that the rain is old news, very old news. Another 2" of it fell this morning in about 45 minutes, and with it was the requisite thunderstorm, prompting two dogs to suddenly sprout springs on their feet and magically appear in bed with me.

To say everything is wet doesn't begin to do it justice. My lane is washed out again, for at least the third time this spring. The basement had water in it again this morning. Farmers can't get into their fields to put their crops in, and it's getting late to put much in at this point.  Drought happens here periodically, but I've never seen anything like this.

The woods look as though it's mid-June.  My summertime treat of bushwhacking doesn't look like it will be much fun with all that undergrowth to fight through.  I guess I'll have to stick to the trails this year. Baby Dog won't even go into the woods. Of course she hates water and doesn't like to get her toes damp, let alone wet.  She pees right in the middle of the driveway, well away from any of those nasty wet leaves.

Most evenings, thunderstorms and heavy rain soak the mountain. I don't mind walking in the woods during a light rain, but a thunderstorm or a gully-washing downpour is just a bit much.  So I'm feeling a bit nature-deprived this week.  And that's really bizarre, isn't it, since I live in the middle of the woods.  I just haven't been able to get out into it for a while.

2 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

I feel for you ... and the dogs ... in all that rain. Drear! Damp! Cold! (damp always FEELS cold).

Cathy said...

I know that a feeling and I'm sick of the rain. Consider myself lucky that I got walks in yesterday and today.

Reminder, I'm moving to wordpress this week, no more Typepad account.

https://quietandsimple.wordpress.com