Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Going the "wrong" way

Yesterday evening I found myself driving on a road I travel fairly regularly but in the opposite direction of my usual route. This is how I came to find the pretty view in today’s photo. Normally, as I travel this dirt road through the gamelands, I am heading west, climbing up the mountain and trying to avoid the potholes. I look in front of me and to the sides, but that’s it.

So last night I’m coming home, not long ahead of an evening thunderstorm, and this time I’m traveling down the mountain (but still trying to avoid the potholes). That’s when I passed an opening in the surrounding forest, and I got a quick glimpse of this view. I didn’t ever remember seeing it before, despite my familiarity with the road.

Because of how the trees extend along the one side of this tractor entry, the view is pretty much obscured when someone is driving uphill and is only noticeable when driving downhill, when the small break in the trees isn’t so obscured.

So I stopped the car in the middle of the downhill grade and cautiously backed uphill for a better view. The coming storm was already darkening the sky, casting an odd light across the fields and the neighboring mountain. How often have I passed this spot and never noticed the opening in the trees that leads to this pretty view? At this point I was only three miles or so from the cabin and in an area I thought I knew well.

How many other interesting sights are right around my corner that I don’t see because I am used to traveling in a particular direction? Last night traveling in the “wrong” rewarded me with a pretty view and made a familiar area seem new again. Who knows what else is out there for me to find on long familiar paths? It’s past time I start taking my own advice more often! Here’s to taking the wrong direction!

6 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Nice post! Sometimes all we have to do to change our view is simply turn around and notice what we've been missing.

Grizz………… said...

A change in direction can often reveal hidden sights. Even more so, a change in speed. Just try walking or bicycling a familiar mile along a country road. You'll discover things you would have sworn weren't there.

In this case…what a great view you found!

Pablo said...

The road less travelled...
The beat of a different drummer ...

Sheri said...

It's funny how different the same old things can look when viewed from a different perspective, isn't it?

Impressive damage from you wind storm. Glad you're okay.

Cicero Sings said...

Amazing what going the other way reveals!

Noticing Grizz's remark ... I and a couple of other lady friends cycled around the south-west corner of Ireland once ... what a way to see, really see ... the countryside.

Carolyn H said...

Grizz: Oh, yes, I've notice how much more you can see with a change of speed. I notice all kinds of things when I'm walking that I don't when I'm driving. And the best way to notice how much you're missing is to walk (or bike) a stretch that you usually drive.

Sheri: the wind damage was pretty bad, pretty much destroying one of those erector-set looking transmission towers, too. I hope it's "one and done" for me when it comes to tornados.