Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mayapples can't read...

…so they don’t know it’s not May just yet. Actually, the mayapples have been blooming for a few days already. I just hadn’t gotten around to getting a photo of them before last evening. As you can probably tell from the photo, the umbrella part of the mayapple plant pretty much hides the bloom, so to see the bloom crouching or laying on the ground is needed.

The other thing that’s typical about mayapples that you can also tell from this photo is that they thrive where poison ivy is happy. Mayapples line my driveway, so I can crouch there to avoid the poison ivy. I’d like to make the poison ivy disappear, but I haven’t figured out how to do that without also getting rid of the mayapples, so I just let it all alone.

The mountain was frosty or close to it again this morning, but the forecasters promise this morning was the end of that. I won’t mind finally turning the heat off, but mostly I’m looking forward to getting the summer plants outside and leaving them there. It’s not just that they need the sun—the cats tend to nibble on them, and I can’t put the plants anyplace high enough to keep those two away.

No comments: