Tuesday, November 24, 2009

November Milestones


Today is nearly the quintessential dreary November day. It’s rainy and breezy and foggy this morning. The only thing that’s not perfectly stereotypical is that it is a few degrees warmer than the quintessential November day. But the weather may even reach that exalted state of dreariness before the day is over. My photo today was taken at Pinchot State Park, just a few miles from my cabin. I took it before the rain started, so you aren't getting the full level of current dreariness.

Make no mistake. I am not really complaining. I’m just stating facts, and after all, it is November. What would November be without at least several of those stereotypical days?

This morning I was forced to leave my porch light on as I left the cabin. Last night I fumbled around in the dark when I got home. I’ve been avoiding leaving the light on for several days now, even though I knew this day was fast approaching. Leaving the porch light on so I can see when I get home in the evening marks another milestone in the year. It will be late January before the days lengthen enough that I can turn it off during the day again. Although if I have snow on the ground, sometimes that creates enough contrast that I can bypass the porch light.

I’ve also reached the point where I see that my bird feeders empty during the day, but I have no idea who is doing the emptying. I leave before the birds are attacking the feeders, and they are a-roost before I get home. Birding is now a weekend event only.

Some things about winter aren’t really my favorite things. It will take some snow on the ground before I grow thrilled with the cold season again. Hopefully, it won’t be long before that happens.

8 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

We're having the very same weather here today. We had our high temp (46 which is unseasonably warm) this morning and I can feel the temp dropping. The rain/drizzle is due to change to snow by tonight. I'm ready to move on from this graaaaaaayyyy.

Anonymous said...

One word, well actually three: Movement sensor light. I have one on my porch and it's great because you don't have to keep the lights on all day. Of course, with all the critters around your cabin, it might turn off and on alot!

Gina

Grizz………… said...

Gray, 47˚F practically all day (every time I checked, anyway), fog in the morning and a fine, foggy-misty rain all the rest of the time.

Typical November.

Listen to Anonymous. I finally got tired of forgetting to turn the porch light on, or not turning it on when I left because I thought I'd be back before dark…and whichever, fumbling with the key in the dark. Yes, I could leave the truck's lights on; also, I have a tiny squeeze light on my keychain. But the latter isn't convenient when you have lots of stuff in your arms, and the former doesn't quite light the keyhole up sufficiently. A motion sensitive switch (just a thing that screws in-between the bulb and the socket) works like a charm.

Help and happiness for $4.99 at the local hardware!

Cathy said...

yes, the grey day of nov. They are worst when you are at work. becuase you know that can't curl up with a cup of tea and a good book.

However, next week I get to deal with lots snow and lots of snowflakes too. I'll be changing the kid's room decor into a winter wonderland. Looking forward to it :)

Carolyn H said...

Lynne: It sounds as though my weather is a few days behind yours--and probably not as extreme. I don't have snow in the forecast until Friday.

Carolyn H.

Carolyn H said...

Anonymous: I've avoided a movement sensor light because I see how they work at my neighbors--cats, deer, raccoons dogs, etc. all set them off. My porch light is only on during the two darkest months. In my mind that's a little better than always having the thing turn itself on/off. Thanks!

Carolyn H.

Carolyn H said...

Griz: Gee, are you sure you live in Ohio? That sounds exactly like my temperature here. Every now and again I wonder if the weather station is broken because it hasn't changed in what feels like forever.

Carolyn H.

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: changing the kids' room into a winter wonderland sounds like fun! Assuming, of course, you aren't giving them a tent and sticking them outside! But maybe they'd like that?!? Here, I expect I won't see more than a dusting of snow, if that. I'm expecting snowflakes but don't know if they'll stick or not.

Carolyn H.