Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Not my favorite thing

My favorite kind of evening at the cabin is one where I can sit outside on the deck after dinner, perhaps with a newspaper or a cup of coffee. I can listen to the forest goings on, watch the sky, perhaps see an interesting bird or watch the fox pick its way across the landscape.

Last evening was not that evening.

Instead it rained, quite a bit actually. The rain was gentle enough most of the time, but after 3 days of it, even a gentle rain amounts to quite a bit. Worse, at least from my point of view, I really didn’t spend the evening at the cabin. Indeed, I spent perhaps 10 minutes of the evening there. so my photo today was not taken at Roundtop. Instead, I took a photo of Beaver Creek flooding a meadow on the way to my evening event.

This morning the rain has stopped for the moment, though the sky still looks as though it could start again at any time. I’ve learned over the years that once the ground gets saturated, as it is now, even a respite of a few hours with no rain is a good thing.

2 comments:

Grizz………… said...

Hope you're having nicer weather at the cabin today. Too much rain is just…too much. Good for plants, in moderation, I guess; not good for those of us who want to sit on our porch and unwind.

It is pretty here, sunny and 70 degrees. But rain is predicted for tomorrow evening and Thursday, at least.

Cathy said...

Know what you are going through, I'm too tired of the rain and clouds. The only good that came out of it, is I have nice green leaves to look at.

w