Thursday, May 14, 2009

An evening in spring

The recent rain on Roundtop has finally booted the ferns into action, and is likely responsible for helping this morel along too. I found it growing in my front forest last evening, camouflaged so nicely that I almost missed it.

The change from tinderbox to reasonably well-watered forest also brought a common garden toad into my driveway last evening, much to Dog’s delight. Dog knows well enough to keep his mouth shut around toads, but he can’t avoid nosing them when they jump. That’s simply too tempting.

Last evening the forest was filled with the usual after-dark noises—a great horned owl down in the valley, a wood thrush that simply couldn’t settle for long after the sun was down, a deer stepping delicately if not silently across the leaves. The usual noises of a woodland night are ones I find comforting and relaxing. I sit outside in the warm evening. The darkness veils my sight and I focus instead on the sounds that tell much. The woods sound at peace, and I go back inside.

5 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

I don't believe that's a stinkhorn, Carolyn. From here, it looks like a morel, one of the tastiest mushrooms on earth. Look around and see if you find more, fry them up in butter, and have a feast!

Thanks for the evening description. Sounds like heaven!

Carolyn H said...

Thanks so much for correcting me on this one. I guess that explains why I couldn't find an exact match.

Carolyn H.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Yup- looks like a morel to me too.

Hugh Griffith said...

And Virginia Creeper and, yikes, poison ivy?

Carolyn H said...

Hugh, Right on both counts. The poison ivy is especially thick this year.

Carolyn H.