Friday, September 29, 2006

Fall, After the Storm

Two tornados came through the area last night, one to the north of me and one to the southeast. All is fine here at the cabin, though it was fairly exciting, weatherwise, for a few hours.

This morning, black, gray and white clouds are racing across the sky; the wind is from the northwest, and the temperature is about 10 degrees cooler than it was yesterday. In other words, it really feels like fall this morning.

Last evening, a great blue heron dawdled at one of the ponds. This morning I saw two double-crested cormorants heading south as I drove across the Susquehanna River to work. I see Monarch butterflies constantly, all moving south. I expect now that the storm has cleared that today will be a big migration day for hawks, especially sharp-shinned hawks. In the fall, in the east, northwest winds the day after a storm always brings higher numbers of migrants. I wish I was sitting on a hawkwatch someplace, instead of working, but such is life. Tomorrow will bring more possibilities, I hope.

No comments: