Friday, September 23, 2005

Storms

Fall is here now, so in honor of that I’m wearing my Hawaiian shirt for one last time this year. A front is to move through later today, bringing cooler and more fall-like weather with it. I can see the new season in the leaves that strew my path. Most came from the damaged plants, the small trees weakened by drought, larger trees infested with some parasite or the annual plants whose time is almost up. It’s the same throughout nature-- the elderly and the young are those most susceptible to changes. The larger, healthier trees will hold onto their leaves a while longer, just as humans not at the far edges of their lifespan can better weather storms or the storms of life. I think of storms today, as the country braces for another major hurricane.

No comments: