Friday, July 20, 2007

Odds and Ends


Yes, I did get a storm last evening, so the signs I saw in the early morning were true enough. The storm at the cabin was not as severe or as strong as I expected. Thunder boomed all around me, the wind picked up, and I did get some rain. However, when I looked at the radar, I saw I was in a tiny circle of only light bad weather, while the storms were severe just a very few miles to the north and south. In a way, I was lucky, though the mountain could sure have used more rain.

I took this photo last evening before the storm and the rain came through, just as the wind was rising. It was taken looking up my lane.

I've been organizing my 2007 cabin birding lists, which you can find here and here if I've set things up properly, by no means a certain thing. I will likely keep my cabin lists online for a while, at least until I get bored with doing it.

The morning the remanants of the storm are still hanging around, but it is already breezy and cooler, with the sky only just beginning to clear. With the weekend weather looking good, I'm hoping to spend some time deeper in the woods, on a few of the trails I don't get to walk regularly, just to see what's going on. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carolyn,
Thanks for sharing your list...Pretty amazing that my yard list stands at 64 too! If you want to take a look at it, it can be found at the following link: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dddtzs9s_9djcjpk or just go to my blog and click the "Verns 2007 Yard List" link on the side bar.
It's not quite as organized as yours but like you I include all birds heard or seen while standing in the yard not just the one's with their feet on the gournd.
Vern

Carolyn H said...

Vern,

Actually, I think it was noticing that your list was at 64 species that I remember thinking, "gee, I think I'm at 64 species, too." And I was. Weird, eh? I'm at 130 species for the yard for the 15 years I've been at the cabin, but 64 species for 2007, which is actually down a bit from earlier years.

My, you were up early this morning!

I'm off to see if I can boost that list by a species or two!

Carolyn H.