Friday, September 14, 2012

Large and small

My new batch of Rhode Island Red hens have produced their first egg.  Isnt't that little thing the cutest little brown egg you ever saw?

Pullet eggs, the first eggs from hens that have just started to lay, are always small.  They will soon be normal size within a week or two or three.  The large egg is from my one of my 3-year old chickens.  A chicken's eggs get larger as they age, and my old girls are now laying jumbo eggs. The little egg is about two inches long, roughly half the size of the jumbo egg. 

3 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Quite a contrast, those two eggs! I have been enjoying very much your photos and commentaries over the past few weeks, feeling remiss at not taking the time to comment on each fascinating post. Just wanted you to know that I'm still one of your biggest fans.

Carolyn H said...

Woodswalker: Thanks so much! I always read your blog too, but don't always comment. Some days there's just not enough time!

Ricky said...

I have to agree, It looks cute. Once we used to have around 20 hens, no anymore.