Monday, April 23, 2012

A new brood


the new babies
My household size has grown by three this week. I’ve added three new baby chickens to eventually replace my aging hens. These are Rhode Island Red chicks, and I’m scheduled to get three black sexlink chicks to add to this brood before too long.

So far the new babies are doing well. They were only a day or so old when I took this photo. They still aren’t a week old but I can already tell they’ve grown. Baby chicks are very fragile, so I’m not counting on all three surviving. I hope they will, of course, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to lose one at some point.

I’m down to four chickens from my original group of eight, who are now three years old. I lost one or so to sickness and two to predators. The rest are doing well and still laying pretty well, if not with the vigor they did two years ago. But the time has come to replenish my flock, and I hope these three will be the start of that.

When I got my first batch of chickens, I really knew nothing about raising chickens. I only knew I wanted fresh eggs. Since then I’ve had a lot of fresh eggs and learned a bit about raising chickens. Hand-raised chickens are sweet little souls, gentle and friendly. The eggs are so good I never want to go back to store-bought eggs.

For now the little babies are in my bedroom, warm under a brood lamp and learning how to be little chickens. They won’t be able to go outside and join the others until around mid-June. It will be August or September before they start to lay their first pullet eggs. It’s a long process from chick to fresh eggs, and getting the new babies is only the first step.

3 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Blessings on you, little chicks. And the lady who takes such good care of you, too.

Cicero Sings said...

Trust all goes well with the chicks.

Home raised eggs (you know what I mean) are the best. So yum compared to store bought.

Cathy said...

How adorable !!!! Hope they make it!