Thursday, December 23, 2010

Maybe it's not always Pig

Perhaps I have blamed Pig the raccoon for more than his share of my bird feeder destruction.
After many nights of being awakened to the sound of Baby Dog baying in outrage at the raccoon on the back deck, I have simply blamed all such nightly forays on him.

Then last early this morning, a bit after 5 a.m. when it was still dark but lit by the full moon, I saw a gray squirrel leap from the oak tree next to the cabin onto the tube feeder. The distance must be more than 10 feet, and the leap took everything the squirrel had. His little hindquarters pushed for all they were worth as he launched himself at the feeder, which obligingly fell to the deck in the face of the squirrel landing on it.

So I’ve maligned poor Pig, at least some of the time, when the fault is not his.

Now if I can only figure out what is rousting the chickens at 3 a.m., perhaps I will eventually get a full night’s sleep.

5 comments:

Elora said...

Carolyn,

We had a 'possum in the turkey shelter the other night....maybe time to check for holes in the coop that a 'possum could sneak through?

Wishing you a lovely holiday season!

Elora

Cicero Sings said...

Innocent until proven guilty. Those squirrels are amazing ... what they will go through to get at a feeder!

Hope you solve your mystery of the squawking hens soon ... one NEEDS their sleep!

Pablo said...

Warm wishes!

Scott said...

I blamed raccoons on my seemingly inexplicable nightly feeder raids-- until I caught sight of a flying squirrel on the feeder. They were in my attic, too. Now that I've rousted them from the attic, they've stopped bothering the feeder, too!

Jeannette StG said...

Sorry Carolyn, haven't been here lately - hope you had an enjoyable Christmas season! The events at your property made me smile! Yes, I hope everything settles down eventually! (maybe not till the weather gets warmer:( )