Monday, September 13, 2010

Finally! Rain and fog

Sunday finally saw some much-needed rain on Roundtop Mtn. Fog and drizzle were the orders of the day, and the dampness even felt a tad chilly, which was a very welcome chill to me.

Migration is slowly picking up around the mountain. I counted over 100 geese on the biggest pond Friday evening and 20 cedar waxwings just a few steps from there. Migration sightings didn’t end then, either. Sunday afternoon, when it was almost too foggy to see, I found myself in the midst of a few visiting warblers—black-throated greens and a single Nashville, though it’s possible there were two of them. Still, however few or many there were, the warblers are a very visible sign the season is turning.

I’m happy to see the changes and am glad I don’t live somewhere where the weather is pretty much the same all year long. As it is, I chafe whenever summer lasts too long for my tastes, when the late fall takes on an unremitting browness after the leaves fall but before the snow. I look forward to the seasons changing and enjoy every little sign of each one. Unchanging weather would not be to my liking. Some days, the changes I do have seem to go a long ways between them. But not in fall, where the season moves quickly, almost too quickly to see each headlong rush towards winter.


Woodswalker said...

How beautiful, that mist on the mountainside! Yes, the autumn days seem to rush toward winter faster than summer rushes toward fall. Good thing I love winter!

Carolyn H said...

Woodswalker: Thanks! The mountain is beautiful all the time, in my opinion, and boy, was I glad to see some rain and fog on it. It's been really dry here since the beginning of August. Everything is wilted. That rain should perk it up a bit!

Carolyn H.

Cathy said...

It was a nice a nice rainy sunday. Spent a good part of with a book and a cup of tea

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: A rainy Sunday afternoon, a good book and a cup of tea--that's just about perfection to my mind!

Carolyn H.