Monday, March 15, 2010

It's a soggy mess


The only thing soggier than the forest around me right now would be quicksand. Without the Wellies, I couldn’t get around at all. Even with Wellies, it’s not a lot of fun. I squish and slurp through the decaying leaves, sometimes sinking in mud up to my shins, though still protected by the Wellies.

Maybe I’m imagining it, but I don’t think the animals much like it either. This morning, the group of 7 deer that tiptoed across my back forest just before this rain started watched Dog and me from the safety of a small hillock. They wouldn’t move off their high ground, even when we got closer than I expected to get. A rabbit huddled under a bush and wouldn’t move, even as we walked by. Dog pretended not to notice.

I haven’t had phone service since the rain began, though I can’t say that I’ve missed it too much. I lost power for a while too, but this time of year that wasn’t bad for a few hours. The streams and low spots are all flooded.

My plan is to stay hunkered down until the mud clears past the point of sogginess. This weather is nothing a dozen cups of tea and a warm blanket won’t cure. And once the storm is finally over, whenever that is, spring will be here in earnest. I wouldn’t be surprised if spring exploded all at once like fireworks. I am ready for that.

My photo today was taken at Pinchot lake during a momentary break in the rain. It was the brightest moment of the weekend, and as you can see, it still wasn’t bright.

10 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Hang in there, Carolyn! As you said yourself, spring will explode any moment. You should be glad for all the water and snow you've had. Up here near the Adirondacks we're having a kind of drought, with little snow this winter and just a few sprinkles this spring. Usually, our rivers and streams would be filling their floodplains, but not this year.

Grizz………… said...

Well, I'm not doing any better (check out my latest post) and I know what you mean about soggy landscape and squishing around in Wellies. I don't think the birds and animals like it, either.

But I also believe you're absolutely right in that once it dries a bit and warms, spring might all but explode—wildflowers, leaves, morels, singing birds…the whole glorious show.

I can't wait!

Carolyn H said...

Woodswalker: It's hard to imagine that all the winter storms and rain of this past weekend have bypassed your area. Maybe the next batch will miss me and hit your area. (I can only hope).

Carolyn h

Carolyn H said...

Griz: Yes, your high water does look scary. I'm not sure I'd be able to deal with that, as visions of Hurricane Agnes in 1973 (or was it 74) still dance in my head whenever I get a lot of rain. That was 18 inches of rain in 3 days, and people were stranded for days.

Carolyn H.

Elora said...

Hi, Carolyn!

We were eyeballing plans for an ark this past weekend, as the low spot in the driveway grew into a small lake. It's still raining here in southeastern WV, but only lightly, giving the muck a chance to sink. Unfortunately had to decline a dinner invite this past Saturday, due to high water. It's looking like Wednesday will initiate a run of sunshine!

Elora

Carolyn H said...

Elora, It sounds as though you almost needed the ark this weekend! i think the entire east coast is due for a long run of nice weather--especially on weekends!

Carolyn H.

Cathy said...

Good plan, hunkered down with tea! That's what I did this weekend. Well the rain is finally pulling out with maybe a stray rain or snow showers.

Pablo said...

I saw something up in the sky yesterday that looked familiar. It was round and yellow and very bright. It didn't stay long though.

Carolyn H said...

Pablo: Gee, I wonder what that thing might have been? I sure haven't seen anything like that around here!

Carolyn H

Carolyn H said...

Cathy: The worst of the rain has passed but it's still dark and gloomy. Looked like twilight all afternoon yesterday. Maybe today it will improve.

Carolyn H.