Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Forest Light

The early morning light in the forest in late spring and early summer is something I love and look forward to. It’s a bright, clear yellow light that illuminates the forest’s bright shade of green. In another few weeks summer’s haze will dull the light’s intensity and, the forest green will dim to an deep emerald green.

Until this morning, I hadn’t seen much of this wondrous June light. The sky has been overcast, the light dull and gray for long stretches.

The weather has affected the area’s spring crops. Strawberries this year are good but soft, lacking the very heights of sweetness that would make them great. They are good, though. It’s only when I compare them to perfection that I find this year’s batch missing the mark. Perhaps this change in weather will be enough to push the last of the local berries to a sweeter spot.

For the first time in weeks, the forest is drying out a bit, urged by a soft breeze from the northwest. It’s the kind of weather that makes me want to play hooky. I know it won’t last, likely won’t last long enough for the weekend to arrive. But the forest light this morning is enough to lift my spirits and bring a smile to my face.

No comments: