Thursday, August 17, 2006

Goldfinches

I have eastern goldfinches everywhere right now. I hear them first thing in the morning. I hear them just before dark. August is the time when goldfinch families take the kids on vacation. The kids complain they never go anyplace and the nest is boring, migration hasn't started, mom and dad goldfinch look at each other and say "road trip!" Just like every other goldfinch family in the world. So off they go, undulating and singing into the wide world around them. To a goldfinch, that's August.

I also saw chimney swifts this morning for the first time in a while. They may well be early migrants. Lots of Pa. birders have complained this year that chimney swifts are suddenly and unexpectedly uncommon. I never have many, though I usually have some, and I haven't seen them most of the summer either. Until this morning.

No comments: