Wednesday, May 09, 2012

A moment in green

Now that I’ve returned to Roundtop, and even though I was gone just a few days, I notice the leaves are even denser. My views into the woods are feet less than they were when I left, and it is very green outside.

The spring flowers are mostly over by now, and the ones that remain are fewer and look a bit lonely. The summer flowers with more brilliant colors than their spring cousins have yet to appear. The result is that the forest borders on the monochromatic this morning.

Green, with a few leaning lines of brown, is the rule of the day and will be the rule for months to come.

Somewhere in all that greenery invisible warblers flit from leaf to twig. If not for the songs of wood thrush, ovenbirds and black-throated green warblers (to name a few), I would think the forest largely empty of fauna.

Perhaps it is the leaves that sing, not birds. I see no birds, only leaves, all in green.

2 comments:

Elora said...

Hi, Carolyn!
Here, too. But the more dense encroachment has brought the Wood Thrush and the Great Crested Flycatcher voices. They seem to relish the cover and only occasionally pop out to say hello.

Elora

Carolyn H said...

Elora: I didn't hear the first great crested flycatcher until this morning. Finally, they have arrived and are "whoop"ing all over the mountain